Rooibos ( Aspalathus Lineanis), is a native South African bush that is grown in the area near Cape Town. Locals of South Africa have been harvesting rooibos as a health beverage for centuries .
Rooibos tea has become popular because of its fruity, sweet taste and its caffeine-free, low tannin, antioxidant-rich status. Although more research is needed, rooibos appears to be safe and free of side effects.
The antioxidants present in rooibos may help protect against free radical damage that can lead to cancer, heart attack, and stroke. Unfermented (green) rooibos has a higher amount of polyphenols than traditional fermented rooibos and generally demonstrates higher antioxidant and antimutagenic capabilities in vitro. Future research should reveal whether the antioxidant benefits of rooibos observed in vitro and in animals translates into health benefits for humans.
Nutritional Value of 3g/200 ml of Rooibos:
- Iron (Fe) 0.07 mg
- Potassium (K) 7.12 mg
- Zinc (Zn) 0.04 mg
- Manganese (Mn) 0.04 mg
- Copper (Cu) 0.07 mg
- Calcium (Ca) 1.08 mg
- Sodium (Na) 6.16 mg
- Magnesium (Mg) 1.57 mg
- Fluoride (F) 0.22 mg
With the exceptions of fluoride and copper, the trace amounts of minerals in rooibos are not enough to make the tea a meaningful dietary source of minerals for the average consumer.Marc S. Micozzi, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Policy Institute for Integrative Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland, notes that when rooibos is used as a fluid replacement throughout the day, as is done with some athletes in South Africa, it does provide measurable amounts of several minerals and electrolytes
Overall benefits of rooibos:
- supplements your body’s need for SOD (super oxide dismutase), thus providing a natural antioxidant to protect your body against free radical damage
- relieves allergies
- is caffeine free
- is rich in essential minerals for good health and vitality
- contains anti-spasmodic properties that relieve digestive distress in adults as well as colic in infants
- is available in red (oxidized) and green (non oxidized) forms; green rooibos has more antioxidant benefit than the oxidized version
- is refreshing and does not get bitter because it has only 4.4% tannins
- the low tannins content will not interfere with the iron absorbtion, problems normally identified with green tea
If you are on the market for some good quality rooibos, check Herbal Republic store in Vancouver. They carry a large variety of flavours, my personal favorites being : Queenstown Rooibos (Complex with a creamy, strawberry-kiwi aroma. “Biedoux Valley” blend.
Contains organic Biedoux Valley rooibos, rose, strawberry pieces, lulo fruit, cornflowers and vanilla pieces), Sun City Rooibos (Blend of orange blossoms & citrus peels.
Contains organic rooibos, orange blossoms and citrus peels) and Berrydale Rooibos (Green rooibos with strawberry, vanilla and grapefruit aromas.
Contains Green rooibos, sunflower petals, cornflowers and rose petals)